The Fenocchio estate was founded in 1864. For over five generations, with its twelve hectares (thirty acres) of vineyards in the heart of the Barolo production zone, it produces and ages important wines, following in the footsteps of traditions handed down from father to son. In the post-war period, new energy was given to the estate's work by Giacomo Fenocchio, who began to acquire new vineyard land. Before the Second World War, the wine was sold principally in local markets: either in bulk or in demijohns, Larger ambitions began only in the early 1960's, with an eye to foreign markets as well. Today the sons of Giacomo Fenocchio – Claudio, Albino, and Alberto – export close to eighty per cent of their production, thereby creating a name and reputation for the family and a territory as well as for their wines.
Winery Acreage: 34.6 acres
All of the Fenocchio wines are made from the grapes of the estate's proprietary vineyards located in three different townships: the Bussia in Monforte d'Alba; Villero sub-zone of Castiglione Falletto; and Cannubi in Barolo. All are "grand cru" vineyards and have always been recognized as such for the special microclimates which give them the potential to produce wines of exceptional character and personality and an aristocratic structure. The different characteristics of the soil and, in particular, of the sub-soils of these three subzones give wines which are notably different from one another. The microclimates and the excellent exposures (southeast and southwest) create highly favorable conditions for the ripening of the grapes and create as well special bio-chemical characteristics which produce the outstanding aromas and flavors of the wines made from these grapes.
BUSSIA IN MONFORTE D'ALBA
The soils are of Helvetian origin: compact clay and limestone marls along with tuff in Bussia di Monforte.
CASTIGLIONE FALLETTO – THE VILLERO VINEYARD
Approximately twelve kilometers (seven miles) from Alba, the town of Castiglione Falletto dominates the hillside ridge which runs through the central part of the Barolo appellation. Soils are of Helvetian origin with clay and limestone deposits rich in iron.
THE CANNUBI SUB-ZONE OF BAROLO
Historically eminent among the vineyards and sub-zones with the highest potential for fine Barolo: the oldest bottle of the Langhe district is conserved in the city of Bra and bears the inscription "Cannubi 1752": the Cannubi name has always been a seal of honor and a true, universally recognized guarantee. Soils are of Tortonian origin, marls and tuff together with a significant presence of sand in the Cannubi vineyard in the township of Barolo, which maintains a soft and dry texture in the soil.