This property, who was one of the first Burgundy producers in the Kysela portfolio, has been producing some of the best Premiers Crus in Savigny for more than 200 years. Founder Maurice Ecard, who is now retired, was considered by many experts to be the father of the appellation; the ‘Master of Savigny’. The new owner, François Martenot, has been carefully following Maurice’s footsteps in order to continue his legacy.
The vineyards measure 15 hectares (37.2 acres), located mostly in Savigny-les-Beaune, planted with Pinot Noir & Chardonnay. The Bourgogne Blanc and Bourgogne Rouge are made from grapes grown right outside of the Savigny-les-Beaune appellation. The domaine is cultivated through organic methods and produces wines that purely and distinctly reflect the terroir.
Between the Hill of Corton and Beaune, the landscape opens up like a map unfolding. The hills of the Côte de Beaune recede a little on either side of the little river Rhoin. These vineyards are of ancient lineage. For much of their history, they belonged to the domaine of the Dukes of Burgundy, to neighboring religious houses, or to the Knights of Malta. An imposing 14th century castle testifies to the appellation's aristocratic qualifications. The AOC status dates from 1937.
The yields are never over 35 hl/ha. The vines are pruned and, when fully mature, harvested by manual selection. Vinification involves 75 to 100% destemming, a classic fermentation, pigeage, racking of the gross lees, 15-18 months in oak (15% new from Damy).