Boich Family Cellar was founded by John Boich. John worked in finance in the San Francisco Bay Area, but began visiting Napa and Sonoma in the 90's. During a trip, he decided - on a whim - to check out properties for sale, and a real estate agent lead him to a remote & rugged propery at the northernmost tip of the Mt. Veeder appellation. John purchased the property that day.
Boich Estate comprises 36 hectares & five vineyards:
- Beckstoffer Georges III, Napa Valley - found on the legendary Rutherford Bench at the base of the Mayacamas mountains, this vineyard sits on the melange of soils that defines Napa Valley. A combination of soils that influences grapes in flavor and in tannin, often referred to as “Rutherford Dust,” produces some of the finest Cabernet Sauvignon wines in the world.
- Beckstoffer To Kalon, Napa Valley - Perhaps the most famous of the Beckstoffer vineyards, Beckstoffer To Kalon was purchased from Beaulieu Vineyards in 1993. Napa pioneer Hamilton Crabb first planted the vineyard in 1868 and it has produced some of the finest red wine grapes ever since. Formerly known as BV #4, the To Kalon vineyard was among the BV vineyards that went into the coveted BV Private Reserve. In 2007 the property was placed under a land conservation easement that forever prohibits non-agricultural development. The key to To Kalon’s success is terroir. Greek for “highest beauty,” To Kalon Cabernet is Napa Valley in a bottle.
- Beckstoffer Missouri Hopper Vineyard, Napa Valley - Located north of the town of Yountville in the Oakville AVA, Beckstoffer Missouri Hopper was originally part of a large piece of land owned by George Yount from whom the town of Yountville takes its name. Purchased by Charles Hopper and given to his daughter Missouri in 1977, the land was planted with wine grapes. In 1960’s the land was purchased by Bruce Kelham as part of the historic Vine Hill Ranch.
- Wall Road Vineyard - Located at the northern tip of the Mount Veeder AVA due west of the To Kalon vineyard this 3-acre mountain top gem was planted in 1999 by Duane Wall, son of the original 1934 Napa settler Peter Wall. The sloping terrain with a south/southeast orientation allows for a long and steady growing season above the marine layer that cools Napa Valley. Boich Family Cellar purchased it in 2012.
- Ritchie Vineyard, Russian River Valley - Situated in the center of the Russian River AVA the Ritchie Vineyard has been the fruit source for some of the most celebrated Sonoma Chardonnays including Marc Aubert, DuMol, Paul Hobbs and now Boich Family Cellar. The Russian River micro climate together with benchland soil of pure Goldridge Loam make for ideal growing conditions.
The approach at Boich Family Cellar is to procure the very best fruit possible from the most iconic and proven vineyards in the region and then with minimal intervention, allow mother nature to perform her magic. Wines are made by Jeff Ames. All wines are hand crafted in a new world style that makes them approachable in their youth yet still age worthy.