Château Plaisance is located in the Médoc area, at the border of the Margaux AOC, overlooking the Gironde estuary of the Garonne river. Owned by Jean-Louis and Isabelle Chollet since 1991, the estate dates back to the 1780s; its vineyards are even older, as can be seen on the 1753 map of the estate from Gironde’s archives.
This neoclassical "folie bordelaise", with its exterior double-helix staircase, is a historical monument. It still bears the initials of its first owner, Jean Cavalier, and continues to be admired by lovers of 18th-century art. Its architect was François Lhôte, who was very active throughout the Bordelais.
The Chollets were determined to preserve the history of the estate while improving the quality of the vineyards and resulting wines: "We wanted to give the wines of Château Plaisance estate a reputation worthy of the prestigious architecture of the building itself. That's why the vineyards we tend, the wines we produce in our chais, the thousands of bottles we offer wine lovers, everything we do must show our ongoing concern for irreproachable quality."
The estate covers 13 hectares of prime alluvial soils. 10 hectares are planted as a single block with 70% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 10% Petit Verdot. Density if 5000/ha, with an average yield of 50 hl/ha. The average annual production is 60,000 bottles.