Chateau Thibeaud-Maillet dates back from the French Revolution when the count of Mallet's property was divided into several smaller estates. Founded in the 1800's by the Thibeaud family, the Chateau was taken over by Andrée and Roger Duroux in 1971. Roger Duroux tended the vines until he was nearly 80 years old, then her daughter Geneviève Duroux - the 5 th generation - joined the family and has been running the estate since 2011. Chateau Thibeaud-Maillet is among the last family owned Pomerol properties.
The estate spreads over 1.6 hectares on the higher terrasse of Pomerol in the hamlet of Maillet, North-East of the Pomerol appellation, half a mile away from the most famous Châteaux (Petrus), sharing the same type of blue clay veins in the soils. The vineyard is planted with 100% Merlot on sandy and gravelly soils located over a bed of clay, resulting in round and subtle wines. Most of the vines are 25 years old and the oldest are 50 years old. Most of the vineyard work is done with a horse.