Pinino is located in Tuscany, to the north of the village of Montalcino. The estate was founded in 1874 by Tito Costanti, a notary public in Montalcino. In 2003, the property was purchased by Andrea and Hannes Gamon of Austria and Max and Silvia Hernandez of Spain. "Pinino" is the original name of the winery, which was one of the first members of the Consorzio del Vino Brunello di Montalcino.
Hannes and Andrea Gamon live in Vorarlberg, in the west of Austria. Andrea, of Italian origin, has been mainly involved in the fashion industry, with business in Italy, Austria and Switzerland. Max Hernandez, who also worked in the fashion industry, comes from a family of winemakers. His father cultivated vines in Spain’s Toro D.O. His wife, Silvia, comes from a family of Spanish actors, and she works on their Pinino project alongside oenologists Dr. Franco Bernabei and Dr. Roberto da Frassini.
The winery is embedded like a natural amphitheater into the beautiful hillside of Montosoli. The vineyards spread over 16.5 hectares (41 acres) and are planted to 100% Sangiovese for their Brunello di Montalcino. 4 hectares are located on the Pinino estate, with a southern exposure and galestro soil. The remaining land is located on the Canchi estate, with a southeastern exposure and soils of clay and limestone.
Grapes are manually harvested, after three stages of thinning in which the yield is reduced to a minimum. Grapes are further selected on a sorting table in the cellar. After a long alcoholic fermentation and natural malolactic fermentation, the finished wine is braided and transferred to Slavonian oak barrels of varying capacity (10, 20 or 30 hl.) and 225-liter French barriques. Annual production is 7,000 cases.