In today’s wine market, consumers have more choices than ever. There are shelves stocked with flashy labels, trendy wine names, and unique packaging. As winemakers and merchants fight to get the consumer’s attention, we are too often left with commercial wines of limited character. It is becoming more difficult to find producers who devote their efforts and resources on creating true-to-type wines, but that won’t stop Fran Kysela from searching. Fran seeks the best juice in the bottle – those fruit driven, true-to-type, focused wines – so he can offer consumers a pleasurable drink at a reasonable price. When he finds what he is looking for, he has it bottled with his exclusive label, RUBUS.
Welcome to THE RUBUS PROJECT.
Fran Kysela created the Rubus Project in 1997 as a way to source & sell incredible wines at value prices. This global project encompasses wines from around the world, all of which are hand-selected by Fran himself. Rubus wines must be from estate-grown fruit, and they must over deliver.
The first Rubus wine was a superb batch of 1,200 cases of 1997 Amador County Zinfandel. The wine sold out in a few days, and the Rubus label wasn’t used for the next 10+ years. In 2009, Kysela found an outstanding Cabernet Sauvignon from Stag's Leaps district in Napa Valley, which became the next wine to be sold under the Rubus label. This was followed closely by a Russian River Chardonnay and an excellent Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel.
Over the years, the Rubus project has grown in terms of sku’s, sources and quality. The project currently includes the following wines:
- Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (USA)
- Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel (USA)
- Barossa Shiraz (Australia)
- Proprietary Red Reserve (Calatayud, Spain)
- Waipara Valley Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand)
- Colchagua Valley Chardonnay (Chile)
- Icono Malbec (Mendoza, Argentina)
- Veneto Pinot Noir (Lessini Hills, Italy)
- White Blend (France)
- Cabernet Sauvignon AVA California (USA)
- Dry French Vin-Gris Rosé (Languedoc, France)
- Sparkling Brut Blanc de Blancs (France)
- Sparkling Rosé Brut (France)
- Reserve Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel (USA) - new for 2021!
- Reserve Russian River Pinot Noir (USA) - new for 2021!
Rubus is a true representation of quality for the consumer at an excellent price.